Monday, January 11, 2010

Regional Associations Spotlight

It was the spring of 2001, and my wife and I were in our first year of employment in the North Texas area. We were approached by some folks asking if we would like to help with an upcoming student athletic trainer symposium called NTATS. I did not know what NTATS was nor did I have any idea about its history or what it did for the athletic trainers in the North Texas region. We went to the meeting and saw up close what it was all about – professionals socializing and sharing ideas, student athletic trainers learning new information and developing interest in the profession and a wonderful event that left everyone excited about the years to come. While that was my first experience of volunteering with a professional organization, it has led to a terrific appreciation for regional organizations and what they mean to SWATA and the field of athletic training.

I am fully convinced that regional associations one of the driving force of SWATA and the camaraderie that our colleagues share with each other. Before the Christmas holidays I attempted to make contact with the numerous regional associations throughout District 6. I made contact with a few and tried to get some details and things within their organization that they are excited about. Over the next few weeks, I am going to try and spotlight some of these organizations. If you are a member of the Executive Board of a regional association and I did not make contact with you, I am extremely interested in getting some information from you – please email me at david.traylor@kellerisd.net.

Some crazy rescheduling of events (thanks to ice) forced me to miss the trip south this past weekend to attend this meeting, but I would like to start this brief series by highlighting GHATS and the great things happening in the Houston area. Check back soon for the first installment.

No comments: